Monday, October 27, 2008

Some Interesting Facts About Brazil...

We all know that Brazil is beautiful.  If you didn't before, you should after seeing the pictures on my blog.  Everything you hear about Brazil is true - the beaches are amazing, the mountains are majestic, and the people are as warm and welcoming as you can imagine.  
But there are some things that you would not know about this beautiful country - or, specifically Rio de Janeiro - unless you've lived here.  As part of my  "semester abroad," I have been teaching English to Cariocas.  My favorite part of the class is "free conversation," where I can talk to them about anything I want to.  And this is where I learn the most about life in Rio de Janeiro.  So here are some interesting facts about Rio that you may not know...

1.  Voting is mandatory here for residents between 18 and 70 years of age.  If you do not vote, you can be fined and/or arrested.  While there is no law that applies to persons over the age of 70, many elderly Cariocas choose to vote anyway. People LOVE to talk about politics and are surprisingly informed about the upcoming presidential election in the US.   And so, while 100% of eligible voters cast a ballot in Brazil, in the US 2004 presidential election, only 56.7% of those eligible actually voted.  Many people are conflicted here on the law of mandatory voting...what do you think??

2.  Brazil is a very energy efficient country (I think) and continues to improve on its conservation.  In almost every building I have visited, hallway lighting is motion sensitive and only turns on when a person is approaching.  In the subway stations, the escalators going from the train platform to the entrance level only become activated when a person steps on the first step.  Otherwise, they remain motionless, which saves a lot of energy when nobody is using them.  Toilets are only half full of water.  There are separate trash bins for all types of materials.  Unfortunately, Fernando Gabeira, who was the mayorial candidate from the "Green Party" lost yesterday to Eduardo Paes.  Gabeira had plans to make Rio even "greener" than it already is, but he was defeated in the closest election in Brazilian history:  49.3% for Gabeira to 50.7% for Paes.  Now if that doesn't emphasize the importance of voting, I don't know what does...

3.  Brazilians never worry about terrorism.  The thought of an attack on this country is far from a Carioca's mind  It's amazing to live in a place where the news rarely discusses the middle east, and only briefly touches on the war in Iraq during the international news segment.  Brazil has no enemies [unless you count Argentina, but that's really only during the World Cup :) ]; however, their greatest problem is a threat from within.  Violence is a big problem here - of course, in America, we see films like Cidade de Deus and Tropa de Elite and we think we need bullet-proof vests just to walk out of the hotel.  This is not the case, but people do need to constantly be aware of what's going on around them.  Favelas (slums) CAN be dangerous, but they can also be very peaceful, like the one I am looking at right now outside of our living room window.  Random robberies are certainly more common here than in the United States, and there are many areas that look benign but are actually quite dangerous.  But like anywhere else, you just need to look over your shoulder and know your surroundings.  It certainly helps to have a big, strong, Brazilian boyfriend who was a Jiu Jitsu student for many years by my side...  

But despite the difference in the dangers that plague Cariocas and Americans, there is a common thread:  how we all choose to face our fears.  In America - and particularly in NYC -most people have committed to going on with their lives in a normal fashion and not living in fear everyday.  We know that if we stop flying in airplanes, stop driving through tunnels, and stop using our public transportation, we are letting the terrrorists win.  The same holds true here in Rio - I spoke with a woman last week who told me, "I work hard for my money and hard for this beautiful jewelry on my hands and wrists.  So what am I going to do?  Leave it all at home?  Not wear it because I am afraid?  No - I must go on with my life as normal and not live in fear or else the violence wins."  I couldn't have put it better myself! 


Here is a picture I am borrowing from Hayley and Ryan, who are visiting me this week in Rio! It was taken in Copacabana right along the beachfront...Can you guess who is the political favorite here in Rio??

No comments: